Carol Kuruvilla, the Religion Associate Editor at Huffington Post, has written an article were she claims that the relationship between Christianity and sex has not been the same for the past 2000 years as we are so often told here at the Café by more conservative friends. She offers 6 points to show some of the ways that the relationship of the Church toward sex has changed over 2 millennia.
- Jesus had very little to say about sex.
- To be a truly devoted Christian during the earliest days of the church, you needed to stop having sex altogether.
- For the first 1,000 years of Christianity, many Christians wouldn’t have considered getting married in a church.
- For much of the church’s history, sex within a marriage was only tolerated because it produced children.
- The Church developed some rules about sex that would seem strange to even the most conservative American Christians today.
- Despite these varying standards for sex, love, and marriage, Christians have usually ended up doing their own thing.
It isn’t a university paper, but it is filled with links to interesting support for her claims and which also make interesting reading. Pop over to the article, 6 Things You Probably Didn’t Know About Christianity And Sex, where she fleshes out her points that I have shared here.
The main image is from armonybodas.blogspot.com
The happy brides are from the washingtonblade.com