Head of Anglican Centre in Rome Resigns

by

ACNS reports that Archbishop Bernard Ntahoturi has resigned as the Director of the Anglican Centre at Rome following allegations of sexual misconduct.

The resignation was announced today in a statement by the Centre’s Governors – its independent board of trustees. They said: “the Governors of the Anglican Centre in Rome have accepted the resignation of its Director Archbishop Bernard Ntahoturi following his suspension last week over an allegation of sexual misconduct.

“The Governors are now taking urgent steps to appoint an interim director, who will also act as the Archbishop of Canterbury’s Representative to the Holy See.”

Archbishop Bernard was installed as Director in October 2017. He was previously the Primate of the Anglican Church of Burundi. Before ordination, he was a civil servant who served as chief of staff to Burundi’s President, Jean-Baptiste Bagaza, He served four years in prison following the 1987 military coup. Later, he was appointed Bishop of Matana and then Archbishop of Burundi. He also worked as vice-chair of the country’s commission on truth and reconciliation.

The Church Times further reports that:

It has emerged that [Archbishop Ntahoturi] was suspended last week over an allegation of sexual misconduct.

A statement from the Centre’s governors, published on its website on Friday, said:

”The Governors of the Anglican Centre in Rome have accepted the resignation of its Director Archbishop Bernard Ntahoturi following his suspension last week over an allegation of sexual misconduct. The Governors are now taking urgent steps to appoint an interim director, who will also act as the Archbishop of Canterbury’s Representative to the Holy See.

“Anyone with a safeguarding concern or requiring support may contact safeguarding@churchofengland.org.”

No details of the allegation have been made public.

 

 

 

Dislike (0)
Facebooktwitterpinterestlinkedinmail