The GAFCON Primates (Global Anglican Future Conference) met from 13 – 17 APR 2015 in London England.
Attending were the primates of 6 provinces of the Anglican Communion; Congo, Uganda, Nigeria, Rwanda, Kenya and South America*. Additionally, the primate of the non-Anglican Communion church, The Anglican Church of North America, was also present and was elected by the 6 Anglican primates to join them as the GAFCON Primates Council.
The GAFCON Primates Council published a communique on Friday 17 APR, summing up their meeting. You can read the full text here.
These are the highlights of the communique;
• The next Global Anglican Future Conference is scheduled for 2018. No further information as to when in 2018 or where was offered. However it was announced with a bold claim;
This global gathering now serves a critical function in the life of the Anglican Communion as it is an effective instrument of unity which is capable of gathering the majority of the world’s Anglicans.
• GAFCON is growing in numbers beyond the Anglican Communion
The Anglican Church of North America is now a full fledged member of GAFCON with the election of its primate to the GAFCON Primates Council.
The Fellowships of Confessing Anglicans has added a new member; FCA Australia, lead by the Archdeacon of Melbourne. Australia joins FCA UK & Ireland whose existence was justified in this manner;
We continue to encourage and support the efforts of those working to restore the Church of England’s commitment to Biblical truth. Equally, we authenticate and support the work of those Anglicans who are boldly spreading the gospel of Jesus Christ and whose circumstances require operating outside the old, institutional structures.
• As GAFCON continues to believe that Anglicans outside of their provinces are being led astray of the Gospel, the Primates have planned for GAFCON’s continued expansion.
In order to carry this forward we have put in place the necessary operating structures, people, and financial resources. We invite all of our supporters to be involved in this work.
• The GAFCON Primates wish to assure the Communion that they have no plans to leave the Communion. They claim they are the mainstream heart of the Communion and are dedicated to its renewal.
We invite all faithful Anglicans to join us in renewing the Communion so that united by a biblical and apostolic faith we can defend and proclaim the transforming Gospel of Jesus Christ to the world.
The communique is posted above these signatories;
The Most Rev. Foley Beach, Archbishop, Anglican Church in North America
The Most Rev. Henri Isingoma, Archbishop, Anglican Church of the Congo
The Most Rev. Stanley Ntagali, Archbishop, Anglican Church of Uganda
The Most Rev. Nicholas Okoh, Archbishop, Anglican Church of Nigeria
The Most Rev. Onesphore Rwaje, Archbishop, Anglican Church of Rwanda
The Most Rev. Eliud Wabukala, Archbishop, Anglican Church of Kenya (Chairman)
The Most Rev. Tito Zavala, Presiding Bishop, Province of South America
* Previously the Anglican Church of the Southern Cone of America, the province officially changed it name to the Province of South America in SEP 2014. The province consists of dioceses in Argentina, Bolivia, Chile, Paraguay, Peru and Uruguay.
photo from GAFCON
Posted by David Allen