From the Office of Public Affairs:
An agreement has been completed between the Domestic and Foreign Missionary Society (DFMS) and the Children’s Defense Fund (CDF) to lease a portion of a floor at the Episcopal Church Center, 815 Second Avenue in New York City, NY.
“I’m very pleased to have the Children’s Defense Fund moving into this building,” commented Geoffrey Smith, Episcopal Church Chief Operating Officer. “CDF provides a strong, effective and independent voice for all the children of America who cannot speak for themselves with particular attention to the needs of poor children, children of color and those with disabilities. The mission of CDF closely aligns with our own priorities and ministries.”
CDF will lease 2,921 square feet on the eighth floor of the Church Center. This area is currently unoccupied. The lease agreement is for three years.
CDF joins the Ad Council, the Consulat General de la Republique d’Haiti, and the Lyceum Kennedy School as tenants in the New York City building.
More on the Episcopal Church Center, popularly known as 815:
The national headquarters for the Episcopal Church, located in New York City. It includes the executive offices of the Presiding Bishop. It is the place where the fiduciary responsibilities for the Domestic and Foreign Missionary Society are carried out; a focal point for the work of General Convention; a center for ecumenical and interfaith engagement; and a contact point for international and national agencies. The 1889 General Convention authorized the managers of the Domestic and Foreign Missionary Society to build quarters for the international missionary work of the Board of Missions and its Woman’s Auxiliary. In Dec. 1893, the Church Missions House was completed in New York City. In 1919 General Convention “nationalized” great portions of the missionary, educational, and social work of the church under one body. More space was needed by 1926, but serious work was not begun until 1958. On Feb. 21, 1963, Bishop Fred J. Warnecke of Bethlehem, chairman of the committee on housing the business operations of the National Council, handed the master keys of the new twelve-story building to Presiding Bishop Arthur Lichtenberger. The dedication of the church center on Apr. 29, 1963, was the culmination of this work. In 1970 General Convention called for a study on the location of the Church Center. The possibility of relocation of the Church Center continues to be considered from time to time.
For more information on the latest lease agreement, see the Office of Public Affairs press release.