Support the Café

Search our Site

An Alaskan chief returns home

An Alaskan chief returns home

From the Fairfax Daily News-Miner:

After more than half a century, the final chapter in a long unfinished story happily ended with the return home of a beloved Fort Yukon leader, Chief Esias Loola.

Loola, 81, died June 3, 1957, in a Seattle hospital where he was being treated for tuberculosis and was buried nearby, thousands of miles from his Yukon River village home.

On Aug. 30, the Fort Yukon community ceremoniously welcomed Chief Loola home with an Episcopal rite funeral and burial next to Katherine and son, John Stevens, in the village cemetery, followed by a potlatch, giveaway and dance.

The overdue rites of passage began with a funeral service at St. Stephen’s Episcopal Church, where the former chief worshipped during his lifetime.


Café Comments?

Our comment policy requires that you use your real first and last names and provide an email address (your email will not be published). Comments that use non-PG rated language, include personal attacks, that are not provable as fact or that we deem in any way to be counter to our mission of fostering respectful dialogue will not be posted.

Support the Café
Past Posts

The Episcopal Café seeks to be an independent voice, reporting and reflecting on the Episcopal Church and the Anglican tradition.  The Café is not a platform of advocacy, but it does aim to tell the story of the church from the perspective of Progressive Christianity.  Our collective sympathy, as the Café, lies with the project of widening the circle of inclusion within the church and empowering all the baptized for the role to which they have been called as followers of Christ.

The opinions expressed at the Café are those of individual contributors, and, unless otherwise noted, should not be interpreted as official statements of a parish, diocese or other organization. The art and articles that appear here remain the property of their creators.

All Content  © 2017 Episcopal Café