The Episcopal Divinity School has responded to a number of requests for reading recommendations by developing a summer reading list. “Throughout the course of the year the EDS faculty receive many requests to make recommendations about books to read in their areas of study,” said the Rev. Dr. Sheryl Kujawa-Holbrook, academic dean. “We regularly receive requests for reading recommendations from persons interested in attending a continuing education class or enrolling in seminary. Other groups who request faculty recommended reading lists are adult education committees, parish discernment
committees, and diocesan commissions on ministry, all of whom are charged with adult formation within the church.”
The 2007 reading list covers a variety of topics including the
Millennium Development Goals, reconciliation, the Anglican Communion,
classism, racism, sexism, as well as publications that explore the
interpretation of the Bible from a feminist or “GenX” perspective.
Selected readings include:
- Alkire, Sabina and Edmund Newell, What Can One Person Do? Faith to Heal a Broken World, New York, Church Publishing, 2005.
- Campolo, Tony and Michael Battle, The Church Enslaved: A Spirituality For Racial Reconciliation (Prisms), Minneapolis: Augsburg Fortress, 2005.
- Crossan, John Dominic, Amy-Jill Levine, Dale Allison, The Historical Jesus in Context (Princeton Readings in Religions), Princeton: Princeton University Press, 2006.
- Dawson, Lorne L. and Douglas E. Cowan, Religion Online: Finding Faith on the Internet, New York: Routledge, 2004.
- Guest, Deryn et al. Eds, The Queer Bible Commentary, Norwich, SCM Press, 2006.
- Hassett, Miranda K., Anglican Communion in Crisis: How Episcopal Dissidents and Their African Allies Are Reshaping Anglicanism, Princeton: Princeton University Press, 2007.
- Horsley, Richard, Jesus and Empire: The Kingdom of God and the New World Disorder, Minneapolis: Fortress, 2002.
- Meacham, Jon, American Gospel: God, the Founding Fathers, and the Making of a Nation, Fortress Press, 2007.
- Newsom, Carol A., and Sharon H. Ringe, eds, The Women’s Bible
Commentary, Expanded ed. Louisville, KY: Westminster John Knox Press, 1998.
- Thompsett, Fredrica Harris and Cynthia L. Shattuck, Confronted by God: The Essential Verna Dozier, New York. Church Publishing, 2006.
- Townes, Emilie M., Womanist Ethics and the Cultural Production of Evil (Black Religion/Womanist Thought/Social Justice), Palgrave, MacMillan Books, 2006.
- Ward, Kevin, A History of Global Anglicanism (Introduction to Religion), Cambridge, Cambridge University Press, 2006.
- Westerhoff, John W., Will Our Children Have Faith? Rev. Ed. Harrisburg: Morehouse Publishing, 2000.
The full list, complete with links to purchase the books through the EDS Amazon Associates store, is here.